Proposition

What happens after Revolutions? Is there another Matrix, is there everlasting peace? What were the alternative storylines? What were other characters' stories? Deus Ex, City 01, Apoc, Switch, Merv... Let your imagination go wild in here, maybe even write the Matrix 4 script!...
Trix
Niobe
Niobe

Post by Trix »

Apollo wrote:You have to be enlisted, the entire crew is already been established, you have to work your way in. plus Syntax is the Operator

Exactly, you don't suddenly move the story in a direction that it was not going in (nor should you suddenly change where the story is taking place) for the sole benefit of your character. Plus you've made your character to be quite infallible..
he had trained hard all his life in most of the forms of martial arts there was. he had won several competitions of martial arts and had mastered the weapons used in all of them
Not a realistic character. Also your post was not only hard to follow but not very informative what so ever. This story has been in development for over a year now, and while I cannot speak for the rest of the members of our writing circle, it has become something quite close to me and I'd hate for it to be suddenly spun the wrong way because someone has decided to suddenly join out of the blue, change the development of the story and only puts a half-ass effort into it.
In the eyes of a dream, I'll always be watching you

~Trix~
Trug
The Blue Pill
The Blue Pill

Post by Trug »

Trix wrote:
Apollo wrote:You have to be enlisted, the entire crew is already been established, you have to work your way in. plus Syntax is the Operator

Exactly, you don't suddenly move the story in a direction that it was not going in (nor should you suddenly change where the story is taking place) for the sole benefit of your character. Plus you've made your character to be quite infallible..
he had trained hard all his life in most of the forms of martial arts there was. he had won several competitions of martial arts and had mastered the weapons used in all of them
Not a realistic character. Also your post was not only hard to follow but not very informative what so ever. This story has been in development for over a year now, and while I cannot speak for the rest of the members of our writing circle, it has become something quite close to me and I'd hate for it to be suddenly spun the wrong way because someone has decided to suddenly join out of the blue, change the development of the story and only puts a half-ass effort into it.
I completely agree. This story is close to us all, and we have all worked hard to get it where it is today. I wouldn't want to have to see it go down in flames due to a n00b.
In the shadow of a memory, life becomes legend.
Existence goes on, but the myth will never end.
Passing down the story to the next of kin.
I'm kept here in the darkness, where I have always been.
parky
Zion Inhabitant
Zion Inhabitant

Post by parky »

sorry for trying to come into your story ive started my own now anyway.
Boxer R65
Senior Council Member
Senior Council Member

Post by Boxer R65 »

To Parky,

It is alot of work and these are a dedicated bunch and quite fierce. However, if you take the time ( and it is alot of time), the rewards are gratifying.
syntax
Deus Ex Machina
Deus Ex Machina

Post by syntax »

Veronica walked through the front door of her apartment setting down her purse and removing the gray jacket of the business suit she wore. After relieving herself of the somewhat constricting footwear that she’d been forced to endure all day at the office she now moved through her home clad only in the skirt and blouse that she would be removing once she made it to her bedroom.

Sweatpants and an oversized T-shirt. Free at last, she thought.

Veronica walked over to the desk and flipped up her laptop. After switching it on she immediately went to work sorting through the clutter of scattered discs that covered the top of the wooden desk. The sound of an instant message she was receiving managed to distract her from her task. “Long day?” it read. She stared at the screen for a few seconds. You again, she thought as she read the screen name of the user attempting to make contact with her.

Veronica placed the disc she held back down and pulled the keyboard closer to her. “Are we going to finish our previous conversation?” she spoke softly as she typed.

“Still curious I see.”

“And you’re still as elusive,” she typed, her frustration already growing astronomically out of control. “What is it?” her fingers continued.

“4389 Cromwell. The answer will be waiting for you on the roof…if you’re still curious.”

No sooner than she had finished reading the words Veronica pushed herself away from her desk and went straight for her walk-in closet. She tore through every outfit she had hanging on the racks, finally emerging wearing a pair of loose fitting black jeans and matching cotton sweater. Whoever this Syntax was he had better have been on the up and up. She’d really hate to have her time wasted tonight in such a manor. Either way…after searching for so long she could hardly pass up even the slightest opportunity of finally obtaining an answer to the question that continued to plague her night after night. Veronica shut off the light and walked out of her bedroom. The laptop remained active on the desktop and soon the darkened room was being gently illuminated by the bright green coding that had began streaming down the screen.

Veronica wrapped her arms around herself as she slowly moved toward the edge of the roof. The nighttime cityscape was lit up before her and a calm breeze tossed her hair as she continued to walk. And wait. There was no one on the roof of this fourteen story apartment building when she had arrived, much to her disappointment. Still, she decided to hang out for awhile and entertain the slight notion that this Syntax character hadn’t been yanking her chain this whole time. He seemed serious enough in their many correspondences in the past. Who knows? Maybe she had just been fooling herself.

“For a moment there,” a voice spoke out from the area of the roof at her back. Veronica spun sharply. “I wasn’t sure you’d make it,” the man in the night black outfit spoke. “Raven.”

“Well I did,” she said reluctantly. She hadn‘t heard a door creak or a footstep proceed the many he was now making as he moved toward her. What happened, did this guy just fall out of the sky? “Who are you?”

“Apollo. Syntax sent me. Said I’d find you here. Nice view,” he said moving past her and heading over to the ledge.

Raven turned and followed him. “Syntax, huh? Hope that’s not all the information he sent you down here with.”

The two of them stood side by side staring out at the expanse of buildings just beyond them. The low whisper of the breeze present was the only noise between them for a few moments. “You look out there,” Apollo said. “What do you see?”

“The shortest distance between this roof and the front door of my apartment if you don’t hurry up and get to the point.”

“You’re standing at the edge, Raven,” Apollo continued.

“Are you going to tell me or not?” Her eyes drifted down to the streets below and she was taken in by the swelling number of police cars that had began to gather all around the building she currently stood atop and empty of their intensely motivated passengers.

“Soon you’re going to have to make a decision.”

“Is…Are they here for you?” she said, her eyes mesmerized by the array of flashing lights.

“You’re either going to have to back away from the edge…or take the next step.” She turned her head and looked this stranger in the eyes as he slowly began to back away from her. “Either way there won’t be any turning back.”

“What is it!?!” she said to him frantically. “Tell me!” She watched him crouch. She watched him push off of the ground and with surprisingly little shock she watched his body continue to move. Up. Up into the starry night sky until she could no longer see him. “What is the matrix?” she whispered to herself.

Aboard the Nexus Apollo felt the chair he sat in begin to lower and the plug come out of the back of his head. “That was a close one,” he heard a voice behind him say.

“Not even,” Apollo commented getting to his feet.

Syntax walked back over to his operating station and took a seat in his chair. “I didn’t mean you, tough guy. Raven made it out of there.”

“Give her my regards the next time you’ve got her on the line.”

With that Apollo abandoned the hovercraft’s core, leaving Syntax alone with his equipment. “Don’t stray too far,” Syntax called out through the hollowed corridors. He received no answer back. “Or do whatever the hell you want,” he said to himself as he replaced his headset and began tapping at his keyboards and surrounding screens. The Nexus had been out of port for approximately six hours now and most of the crew still had yet to get their heads completely back in the game. Time, Syntax thought. All they needed was time.
I'm going back to the matrix and I want you to come with me.
-Duo

www.myspace.com/plotholes
syntax
Deus Ex Machina
Deus Ex Machina

Post by syntax »

It was happening again…just as before. She was lying there on her back. Not asleep. Not awake. Just lying there with her eyes closed somewhere in between. Still, she could see it plain as day. The bright green coding trickling down a dark background, the lit up symbols moving away from her at a slow steady pace. Further…further back. The code kept streaming and eventually the darkened background had moved far enough away from her to reveal the single lens of the pair of sunglasses that it actually was. She continued to stare until the single lens became two; both streaming with coding. The image continued to retreat until the face that the midnight black spectacles rested on came into view.

Smith.

Bang! Bang! Bang!

She opened her eyes and turned her head towards the metal covering barricading her in the chamber that someone was not so gently wrapping against. “Trix, you in there?” she heard Dustin call out on the other side.

“No,” she replied, turning her glace back up to the ceiling. The clanking sound of metal force her eyes back to the door and she watched it slowly come open.

Dustin leaned his right shoulder against the outside wall next to the doorway. “Nap time’s over. Despauna’s got another gig lined up for us.”

Trix sat up on her bed and threw her legs over the side. She reached across her bed for a heavier long sleeved shirt to pull on over the tank top she had on. “Hope it’s nothing too strenuous.”

“Don’t worry. I’m sure you’ll be able to handle it.”

Shoving her feet into her boots, she shot him a sideways glance before rising to her feet and heading for the doorway. Stepping through it and shutting the door behind her, Trix turned to head off down the corridor but instantly found her journey halted before it could even get underway courtesy of Dustin’s clutching palm around the bend of her arm. Trix spun to face him and took a step closer. “Something I can help you with?” she breathed out.

“Actually,” Dustin said, taking a step and closing the gap between them that much more, “I was wondering about your dinner plans for the night.”

“Then let me put your mind at ease. Mess hall. At chow time. Same as yours.”

“Sure there isn’t anyway that a much more private affair could be arranged.” One more step placed his face mere inches away from hers.

“Assuming we survive this broadcast,” Trix said, her eyes scouring the chiseled features of the face slowly leaning into hers, hoping to sort out the true intentions behind this proposal, “it might be something worth thinking about.” His lips nearing contact with hers had to settle for the feel of the electrically charged air that filled the hollows of the Nexus as she turned and continued on her way. His eyes, on the other hand, hadn’t made out quite as bad.

Syntax inserted the plug into the back of Apollo’s head, walked back across the room, and plopped back down in his chair, jostling it with the force of the impact. “What’s this about?” Apollo asked. “Another joyride?”

“You know, you should really try and take your job more seriously,” Syntax replied.

“We’ve received word of the existence of a particularly dangerous program supposedly created and currently being housed on the premises of the software company called Datalist,” Despauna started to explain. Syntax took over from there.

“The crew of the Aragon thought it was worth checking out but they came up with squat.”

“And we’re going back in after this thing why?” Trix said.

“Because we’ve just intercepted irrefutable evidence that a small cadre headed up by several Federal Agents are currently enroute to collect said nonexistent program and it has been unanimously decided that it would be best if we got our hands on this thing before they did and ascertain what and just how dangerous it is. Capeesh?”

“Just hit the button,” Dustin said.

Syntax complied. Seconds later a garage door somewhere inside the dead of night that was the matrix lifted up and three roaring motorbikes carrying Despauna, Dustin, and Trix came pouring out. The three pairs of tires hit the street just outside of the small building and sped off toward their impending destination hoping to cut their competition off at the pass.

Apollo looked all about the blank universe that he currently inhabited. White extended out in every direction. He turned his sunglass covered face up. “I’m guessing that you have other plans for me?” His right trench coat pocket suddenly began ringing. Reaching his hand inside, he pulled out the cellular phone, answered it, and put it to the side of his head.

“Sure thing, cherry,” Syntax’s voice said as it came through the earpiece. “I need you to make a pickup for me.”

Datalist. They were here and from the looks of everything outside they appeared to have preceded the authorities that were said to be on the way. They parked the bikes on the top level of the building’s parking structure which was five levels high and dismounted. Despauna pulled the phone away from his ear and hung it up. He turned his face up and looked at the building in front of him. “Eighth floor,” he said.

“Resistance?” Trix asked.

“Some security. That’s it. The main thing we need to worry about now is time. Let’s go.”

Apollo slowly moved his bike into a parking space on the lower level of the parking garage and got off the seat with his cell phone pressed against his left ear. “A shopping mall?” he said to Syntax, utilizing every sense of restraint that he possessed to keep from yelling.

“Hey, don’t blame me. It was that newb aboard the Cobol that got the drop points mixed up. By the way, the blue pills are packed in there like it’s the day after Christmas so try and keep a low profile. You’re gonna have more than your own ass to think about.”

“Just tell me where to go,” he said through clenched teeth.

Apollo slowly approached the back of the dark brown haired young woman who was dressed in a white blouse and tan slacks and a sudden rush of deja vous washed over him. “I bet you’d look better in red,” he spoke as he neared her. Veronica…Raven turned around sideways holding a blue teddy against her body. Victoria’s Secret. Apollo was definitely going to have to have a talk with this fledgling operator, but for now he would have to remain as focused as all out possible. While Raven returned the article of clothing back to the wall rack that she had removed it from he cautiously eyed the store worker that he caught sight of out of the corner of his eye.

“You again. This makes two nights in a row. Odd choice for a late night clandestine meeting point, don’t you think?” she said as she turned to face him.

“Wasn’t my idea.”

“No? Then who’s was it, Syntax’s?”

“No. Someone else’s.”

Raven smashed her lips together and nodded her head a couple of times. “Right. Just exactly how many of you are there wrapped up this little cloak and dagger game? And while we’re on the subject, what exactly is the…”

“No time for that now. Do you have it with you?”

Veronica took a quick look on either side of her and finally reached into her right front pocket. She came back out palming a small disc that she delivered to him with a handshake. “Do you mind if I ask what that is?”

Apollo dropped it in his left coat pocket. “Honestly, I have no idea. How’d you come by it?”

“Found it in my mailbox when I got home from work. I tried to run it but there’s an encryption on that thing so advanced that theoretically it shouldn‘t even exist.”

Apollo watched her eyes fall away from him and turn to the area just beyond his left shoulder. “Excuse me,” a woman’s voice said. He turned his head around and eyed the shop worker who had spoken to his back so pleasantly. “Is there anything I can help you find?”

“No thanks,” he said to her. “We’re fine.” He immediately turned his glance back to Veronica. Hers fell back on him…but only for a moment. His face crinkled up in confusion as he watched her eyes turn back to the area over his shoulder. Eyes that slowly opened obscenely wide and were set ablaze with a sense of both fear and disbelief. They were fine. Watching her take a single step back away from him Apollo knew instantaneously that they were anything but. He also knew that he no longer had a sweetly attendant standing at his back but rather a somewhat burly and goal oriented Agent that would be barreling down on him at any second. He didn’t even turn to look. Apollo just summoned as much force as he could and channeled it all into the back kick that he threw behind him.

It hit home right where the tie disappeared into the twin lapels and sent the suit soaring the length of the store until it crashed through one of the front display windows. A woman screamed. Then another. And another. The chaos fuse had been lit and the bomb was set to blow. Apollo grabbed Raven by the wrist. “Come on!” He nearly drug her out of the department store as he sought out the quickest route back to his cycle. He was able to let go of her wrist once her mind was able to grasped the concept that they hadn’t a second to doddle and her legs began to pump at a full on sprint. Around corners. Down staircases. Down escalators. Zigzagging around and shoving past disoriented shoppers. It wasn’t until the first bells of gunfire sounded that all hell broke loose. Suddenly the entire place was nothing more than a madhouse of screaming fleeing people.

All Veronica wanted to know was what the hell was going on? She hurried to keep up with Apollo as she tried to duck the sound of gunfire that for some reason seemed to be coming at them from every direction. Finally they made it through a set of glass doors and traded the pandemonium that was the inside of the mall for the slightly less panicked area of the parking garage.

“Get on!” he ordered her as he took his seat on the bike, wondering to himself if it wouldn’t have been a wiser plan to just leave her where she stood. This woman had no clue of the potential threat that she posed to him. His just hoped that he wouldn’t be called on to defend himself accordingly had things taken a turn for the worst. After all, she seemed like a pretty nice person. Raven hopped on the bike behind him and the engine roared to life. Apollo pushed that bike at full as he made off for the exit ramp at the far left end of this underground parking lot. It was just his luck to see a police cruiser coming down it and heading right toward him. The officer behind the wheel hit the breaks and spun the car to a stop at an angle. Raven clung that much tighter to his waist as he did a one eighty with the bike and made off in the opposite direction. No good. Both exits blocked.

“What is it with you and cops?” she blurted out.

“Hang on.”

Apollo went straight for the one car blockade and hung a right just before colliding. He quickly made another right around the rear bumper of the first car in the line of a long row of cars. Reaching the end he made another right and brought the bike to a stop. Straight ahead. The glass doors leading back into the mall beckoned them.

“Don’t,” Raven pleaded with him.

Paying her no attention, he gunned the engine, released the brakes, and shot out for the entrance. Raven shut her eyes and buried her face into his leather covered shoulder. Soon glass exploded all around her and she was instantly propelled back into the bedlam of screaming, fleeing shoppers. When she lifted her head and opened her eyes the view in front of her brought a nervous cringe to her stomach and as she watched the pilot of this crotch rocket dip around decretive fixtures and barely miss pedestrians she saw it again. Images of people, several people numbering in the dozens inexplicably morphing into completely different individuals, all seemingly identical the other. Gunshots! Apollo jerked the handlebars to the right and took the vehicle up an escalator. He made a left once he reached the top. Staring out in front of them, Raven winced at the sight of the narrow path laid out in front of them and the many suited figures that lined either side of it. Guns hung at each of their sides and raised in unison at their approach. Shockingly, this in no way swayed Apollo who continued to propel the bike at an ever increasing rate of speed. Veronica shut her eyes again and lowered her face back to his shoulder.

The shots sounded and her body flinched and jerked. But…somehow…the pain she had so fearfully expected never found it’s way to fruition. Apollo pressed forward, moving through a sea of floating projectiles that had found their way out of their respective barrels but stopped short, each one, of their intended target. Once he was through the gauntlet he found a staircase off to his left and headed up one more flight. He made a right at the top. Agents were everywhere. Now instead of bullets there were widely thrown punches and kicks to dodge. He spied a large window just ahead and came down hard on the accelerator. When Raven heard another explosion of glass and felt the ground give way beneath them she clutched her arms tighter around Apollo and let go with a loud shriek. It didn’t take long for the bike to drop out from between their legs, but for some reason Raven never felt the sensation of her body, nor the one she clung to for dear life, begin it’s decent. She lifted her head again and opened her eyes to the sight of the city lights rushing past their vertical bodies as they somehow continued to move forward without dropping. “What the hell is going on!?!” she screamed as she cut her eyes down to the streets below.

Bringing in his hands that were currently positioned palms forward beside his hips and clasping them around her forearms, Apollo said, “Just try and relax.”

Even after he’d sat them both down firmly on a rooftop no more than two stories high it still took some effort to pry loose her grip from him. Once that was accomplished he turned around to face her. The left corner of his lips cocked up into a slight grin as he watched the wide-eyed young woman in front of him nearly pant herself into hyperventilation. A grin that soon faded as he watched her body seize and suddenly contort itself into the form of an Agent. “Oh shit,” he said to himself before pushing off of the roof top and once again taking to the sky.

The pair of shades this man wore turned up toward the sky as he took a few steps across the rooftop, silent and lost in digital thought. His face lowered and he touched his right index and middle finger to the earpiece embedded in right ear. His body went spastic and shrunk a few inches. When it stilled Veronica found herself once again stranded alone on a rooftop. “Okay,” she breathed out. “What the hell was that!?!” she screamed.

“Nothing,” Dustin said, his fingers busy on the keyboard in front of him. He shook his head from side to side as he stared at the flat screen monitor atop the desk that he sat behind. “I’ve practically searched every file in every network in this building. There’s nothing here.”

Trix was sitting on the edge of the desk across from him just off to his right flipping through the contents of a manila folder. “Coming up dry over here myself. You ask me, we’re just chasing our tails.” A loud clamor emanating from somewhere outside of the office they both occupied brought her eyes up from the folder she rifled through. Trix turned her head to the side. “Despauna?” she said to Dustin over her shoulder.

“Go check it out.”

Trix hopped down from the desktop and dropped the folder down onto the chest of the unconscious security guard who was sleeping off his pummeling on the floor in front of the desk. She headed across the room for the door and pulled it open to the sound of that strange noise again. It wouldn’t stop. She continued to step through the hallway on it’s trail until she rounded a corner on her right and spied a small child being very combative with a vending machine a ways down from where she stood. She approached cautiously until her presence could no longer go undetected. “It took my money and it won’t give me my candy,” he turned his head and said to her.

“What are you doing here?” she asked him, still closing.

“They told me to wait here.”

“Who did?” Trix came to a stop right in front of him. Her only answer came in the form of a pair of hunching shoulders. Turning her head to the side, she quickly extended her fist with enough force to shatter the glass standing between them and the treasure trove of candy.

Dustin turned his attention away from the monitor and placed it on the door, specifically the image of the small child nibbling away at a chocolate treat with Trix standing at his back. What struck him as particularly odd was the aura of gold coding that appeared to compose this child’s makeup. “What’s this?” he asked, turning his eyes up to find Trix’s.

“I think I just found what we were looking for.”
-Duo

syntax
Deus Ex Machina
Deus Ex Machina

Post by syntax »

Despauna appeared in the doorway behind Trix’s right shoulder. “C’mon. Time’s up. We have to get out of here. Agents are coming.”

The three…four of them moved down the hallway toward the elevator and Despauna pulled a cell phone out of his pocket and began pressing buttons. “Do I even have to ask?” he said, clearly referring to Trix who was currently in the process of escorting the small child she had located not too long ago with them as they headed for their exit.

“You asked for a program.”

“Yes, and correct me if I’m wrong, but this, to me, appears to be a little boy.”

“Trust me, sir,” Trix said. “He’s anything but.”

“Good enough for me,” he said, placing his phone back in his coat pocket. “Let’s just get out of here.”

“I’m not little boy,” the child blurted furiously. “I’m almost seven years old.”

“Of course, sweetie,” Trix said to him in a fain effort to comfort the youngster.

Dustin hit the button for the elevator. A door leading to the stairs further down the hall from where they had stopped and on the same wall as the elevator was pulled open and three men stepped out into the hallway. Three men. Three suits. All turning their heads in their direction. “Well, well. I must say. I am rather surprised,” the center Agent spoke up as the trio slowly closed in on them. Smith, Trix thought. The overly familiar face in the midst of the similar looking individuals was enough to arouse a certain flare of intrigued and concern all on it‘s own. Accompanied by his two cohorts and what was sure to be a battalion of reinforcements downstairs had no doubt left the current situation that the rebels found themselves in nothing short of extremely hostile. “Had you people the slightest inkling of who or what it was you had there I’m positive you’d have never come for it.”

“Whoever said a little blissful ignorance never paid off,” Dustin said to him.

The bell signaling the elevator’s arrival sounded and Smith reached into coat. His teeth gritted tightly, he said, “Believe it.”

Blam! Blam! Blam!

The elevator doors parted to the report of gunfire. Despauna hurried inside the car and took shelter with Dustin moving in quickly at his back. The three projectiles streaking through the hall left Trix with no time to make a break for the vertical transport. As her thoughts slowly left those concerning the wellbeing of the small child that had clearly been petrified beyond all belief by the ensuing chaos they fell back on her own sense of self-preservation just in time to force her to dodge the three bullets one at a time. Smith wasted no time in sending the remaining warheads that his weapon held in her direction as did his companions. The elevator doors began to close. Dustin took it upon himself to reach his arm out and take hold of the shell-shocked child, snatching him into the car just before the doors sealed them in and they started for the ground floor. Her two feet having never moved from the position from which they were planted in, Trix finally stood upright again after having dodged the last of the bullets headed her way, the once blurred vision of her stilled into that of a poised and relaxed combatant staring down three empty guns. Smith’s lips curled up in fury at her defiance, flashing a grimacing set of clenched teeth at her before throwing his weapon to the floor and sprinting off down the hall after her.

The elevator doors parted and Despauna and Dustin (the child being carried in his arms now) darted out across the lobby floor. Nearing the glass doors that lead out to the parking garage holding their transports, the crashing sound of a door bursting open on the right side of the room from them distracted them all. They turned their heads to the sight of Trix exiting the stairway entrance and running over to merge with the small fleeing herd. “What happened?” Dustin asked her as they ran. “You stop off by the gift shop?”

“Shut up!” she spat venomously at him.

Despauna exploded through the building entrance in front of them and they all poured out onto the parking garage’s top level and made bee-lines for their respective conveyances.

“Here you go,” Dustin said to the youngster as he placed him atop his bike and climbed on behind him. “Hold on.” The engine of the motorcycle exploded to life along with the other two that would be accompanying them and Dustin could tell that it gave the child quite a start. No time for coddling now. If they didn’t get out of there right this instance there was no telling the horrors that this kid might be forced to endure at the hands of this system.

Despauna’s bike took the lead and led them down the spiraling ramp towards their getaway to the sound of distant sirens that grew louder with each second that passed. By the time they hit the streets below and began cutting a swath through the thin layer of traffic present they found themselves being pursued by a fleet of flashing lights and sirens that increased it’s number exponentially with every turn they made. Whoever this kid was they (the number of Agents filtered throughout this chase unknown but suspected to exist in a detrimental capacity) had come out in record number to see to it that he wouldn’t slip through their clutches.

The front bumper of a police cruiser touched against the back tire of Trix’s bike, jostling her balance a bit. Taking a look in her rearview mirror she could see that the driver was quickly closing in for another hit. Jerking the handlebars to the right, she cut the corner so hard that her right knee was nearly scraping against the pavement. She banked another hard left at the next corner and then a right, catching back up with her team. She’d momentarily shaken her tail but it wouldn’t be long until another moved in to take it’s place. She closed in on Despauna. “NO WAY WE’RE GETTING BACK TO THE ORACLE’S WITH THIS MUCH HEAT ON US!!!” she said over the roaring engines as she pulled up right next to him. “WHATDOYASAY? SPLIT UP?”

“NO!!! JUST TRY AND KEEP UP!!!”

Despauna made a left at the next corner, running a red light as he did. Despite the swerving cars that skidded uncontrollably into the intersection as a result, Trix and Dustin failed to halt their pursuit after him. Cutting a quick eye back over his shoulder, Dustin caught a glimpse of the contribution that the trailing cop cars made to the traffic accident in progress behind him. Though his temper was focused the grin that his lips slipped into showed that the humor of the situation hadn’t been completely lost on him. Twisting the grip covering the far end of the right handle bar, he sped up to keep pace with his runaway compatriots.

The Freeway.

With the lights of the city buildings at their backs and the glowing red brake lights that covered the semi-congested lanes in front of them, the trio got set to make a very daring effort to thin out the number of cars that made up the posse that was white hot on their trail. Zigzagging from left to right; all three of them cutting their own path through and around the cars in front of them; there was no way the police cruisers behind them could maintain the maneuverability to retain the tight proximity that they once held onto as they continued after these fugitives. Their main concern now was…

Despauna hit the gas hard!

The two front bumpers that belonged to the cars on either side of his bike smashed into each other just behind his rear wheel. Despauna could feel the shattering glass of the headlights sprinkle across the backs of his legs as he barely missed being sandwiched between the two cars that were now being piloted by Agents. Lifting his front wheel off of the concrete, he quickly put some distance between himself and the two crumpled vehicles.

Dustin brought his bike up along Despauna’s left side. Trix came up on his right. The majority of the cruisers were quite some distance behind them. There was a tunnel just ahead. Surely it wouldn’t be hard to shake the remainder once they were inside.

Blam! Blam! Blam! Blam!

Assuming they could make it.

The gunshots split up the trio of bikes that had once been huddled together. Trix took a look behind her and caught sight of the Agent with his gunhand hanging out the window. He fired another succession of shots and she turned back around just in time to see Despauna’s bike begin to wobble and let loose with a thick cloud of smoke from beneath the cradle he sat atop. That can’t be good, she thought. Despauna turned around and showed his sunglass covered eyes to her as if he was in telepathic agreement. Trix immediately went into the action. The Agent had pulled his arm back into the car and immediately increased his speed as he came after Despauna’s slowing vehicle.

Trix pulled her bike into the lane some thirty feet behind him, all the while keeping her eye on her rearview mirror and the Agent that was quickly shortening the distance between his front bumper and her rear tire. Despauna straightened the handlebars and slowly, steadily climbed to his feet and stood on top of the bike, one foot on the seat, the other in the center of the handlebars as the traffic on either side of him continued to streak by. The Agent was closing. Not much time. Hurry, Trix thought, scooting forward on her seat, hoping that he continued to share the same wavelength that her mind was on. She could hear the engine of the Agent’s car roaring louder as it barreled down on her. Now! Trix almost screamed out loud. Despauna squatted and leapt into the air. Wrapping his arms around his body, he hugged himself as his body, straight and stiff, twirled in the night sky over and over again above Trix’s head. Dustin cut an eye over to them and he could feel even the kid’s breath come to an icy halt as they both awaited the outcome.
Spreading his legs apart, Despauna’s butt landed square on the seat right behind Trix’s as she hit the gas and swerved out of the way of his tumbling cycle. The sound of the Agent’s car crushing over it could be heard as clear as a bell despite the distance she was putting between them.

The tunnel was just ahead. Dustin closed in tighter and took the lead as they entered the mouth with the Agent right on their tail. No sooner than they entered into the pipe it made a sharp left. The speed at which they moved had been too great to accommodate for it. With the Agent right on top of them now both bikes, first Dustin’s then Trix’s, went into the turn so fast that the momentum carried both of their conveyances up the side of the wall as they went around. Despauna reached into his coat with his right hand and pulled out his gun. The Agent’s car was right beneath them now and he loose with a rain of gunfire that began to perforate both the hood and the windshield along the driver’s side of the car. By the time they had all began to come up on the slower traffic Trix and Dustin guided the bikes back down to the street while the Agent’s car slammed head on into the rear of the first car it came upon. The rear of the car came up into the air and eventually the entire vehicle turned over and came down on the top roof of the motor vehicle that it had rammed. The two bikes continued to dodge and weave their way through the tunnel paying little attention to the resulting explosion behind them.

The street in front of the Oracle’s apartment building.

Dustin clutched his fingers around the brakes and brought his bike to a stop next to the curb. He dismounted and helped the kid down, his body still trembling slightly from the whole ordeal. Trix and Despauna parked behind him and got off staring up at the towering floors of the building in front of them.

Suddenly…

The four of them turned their heads just in time to catch sight of the object falling rapidly towards them from the depths of the starry night sky above. After a quick flip, Apollo’s feet landed hard against the sidewalk and his body slid a few feet in their direction before coming to a complete stop. “Whoa,” he exhaled sharply. “You guys wouldn’t believe what just happened to me.” He stared questioningly at the three blank expressions that didn’t appear to be the least bit enthused about hearing all about the ordeal that he yearned to recant back to them. Then…his eyes fell downward. “Hey? Who’s the short guy?”
-Duo

syntax
Deus Ex Machina
Deus Ex Machina

Post by syntax »

Despauna knocked on the door three times. After waiting there outside in the hallway for a few more seconds he was ultimately greeted by the unmistakable sound of the door’s locking mechanisms being undone. When the door opened he, along with Trix, Dustin, Apollo, and their very pint sized companion, was granted the courtesy of looking upon the ever diligent form of the Oracle’s faithful sentry.

“Wingless,” Apollo said, breaking the silence that existed in the hallway between the small throng. “Got a package for the sibyl. You mind telling her we’re out here. It’s getting a little past our bedtime.”

Seraph lowered his head and let his shade covered eyes soak in the image of their traveling companion for a moment before raising his eyes back to the crewmembers of the Nexus. “Of course,” he said. “Right this way. She’s expecting you.” He pulled the door open wider and stepped aside allowing them all to file in one at a time. Once they were all within the confines of the apartment Seraph closed the door and redid the locks before taking his place at the head of the pack and leading them into the living room.

Once there they found the old sage resting comfortably on one of the couches present. Seraph walked over and stood beside the arm of the couch to her left, remaining quietly vigilant as he placed both of his arms behind his back. Despauna and the rest of his crew also remained standing as they looked down at the woman who sat on the other side of the coffee table in front of their legs.

“Well now,” the elderly woman said as she pressed out her cigarette butt in the ashtray on the table. “What ever is this that you’ve brought me?”

Despauna took a quick look down to his left at the child that stood in front of Dustin continuing to be comforted by the pair of hands that were pressed down on the top of his small shoulders. “Actually we were kind of hoping that you would tell us,” he said, turning back to the Oracle.

“He’s definitely not human,” Apollo said, sliding the shades he wore down his nose slightly and leaning forward so that he could get a look at the kid standing on the other side of his Captain.

“I’m afraid that goes without saying,” the Oracle replied. “But unfortunately that gets us neither closer nor further away from the answer to the my previous question.”

Trix looked around at the faces all about in utter confusion. “Wait a minute. This thi…uh person is clearly from your side of the tracks and you’re telling us that you don’t have any idea who he is?”

“Seraph, why don’t you take our little friend into the kitchen and see if you can find him something to eat. I’m sure that after the day he’s had he must be quite famished.” Seraph nodded his compliance and walked around to the other side of the room and extended his hand to the small child. After Dustin assured the tike that everything was alright he was able to gently relinquish him into Seraph’s care. The two disappeared from the room soon enough.

“Alright. This kid is a program,” Trix opened up with under the assumption that they were in the clear to speak freely and candidly now. “We can all agree on that much. Am I right?”

“He is a program. There’s no denying that,” The Oracle said in response to her question.

“So then how come you of all…people don’t know who, or what he is?”

“Simple. Because I’ve never seen him before. There are some things, bits and pieces, about him that I do find familiar, but as a whole his person and his purpose is something that I have no knowledge of.”

“Well if he’s as dangerous as we’ve been lead to believe,” Dustin spoke up, “then I recommend that we slap an I.D. tag on this kid before it’s too late.”

“You do that Dustin. In the mean time I’ll do what I can to see to it that he’s safely watched over.”

“We’ll be in touch,” Despauna said to her.

A yellow cab rolled to a stop in front of the building across the street from him and he stood there and watched as the dark haired young female climbed out and started for the entrance of her building. Everything was happening just as he expected. However, he did realize that if things were to continue to work out in such a fashion then it was going to take some considerable work on his part to see to it that everything remained on it’s current course. Watching her enter the building and head towards the elevator at the other end of the lobby he knew that there was little room for error. But so far…everything was right on schedule. Well…almost.

“You,” a voice spoke up out of the darkness that existed just beyond the back of his suit. He turned to look back over his right shoulder and into the shadowy depths of the alleyway behind him. “What are you doing here?”

“Mr. Anderson,” Smith said to the figure that slowly emerged from the dark blanket that the night had provided him. He turned around to face his oncoming guest. “How are things?”

“You haven’t answered my question,” the stoic figure proclaimed as he continued to move forward at a steady pace that slowed the closer he got to the Agent.

“Nor do I feel the need to make such a compliance. But what I can do is give you a message to take back to those who sent you. Tell them that it’s not over yet.” When Anderson was right on top of him they both stood face to face, neither of them uttering another word to the other. Eventually Smith turned and headed off down the sidewalk to his right. Mr. Anderson examined his back with his eyes for a moment before turning their gaze to the building across the street from where he stood. Finding nothing else of interest to him here, he turned to his right and started off in the opposite direction of Smith.

Concent pulled the plug out of the back of Dustin’s head and he sat up in his chair. He’d been the last crewmember unplugged and after taking a quick look around the ship’s core he quickly spotted Trix preparing to take her leave of this area of the hovercraft and the portion of it’s crew still puttering around it. He climbed out of his chair and made off for the corridor that he saw her disappear through. “What’s the rush?” he called after her.
She stopped and turned her body sideways in the tunnel, watching Dustin continue his march in her direction. “The job doesn’t stop just because we jack out. You know that. The pads on the starboard aft need maintenance. You’re free to lend a helping hand if you want.” She turned and continued on her way with Dustin following at her back.

“I’d be glad to. But uh…in the very short time that I’ve been here it’s been my experience that it’s not only the ship’s upkeep that should continue to concern us. Sometimes it’s the occupants that have a tendency to require the most looking after. Speaking of which…how about that dinner you promised me?”

Trix continued to walk through the arteries of the underbelly of the Nexus with her hands interlocked behind her back. Her lips couldn’t help but produce a smile that she was glad Dustin couldn’t bear witness to from where he stood at her back. “As I recall I never promised you anything. I merely said that it would be something worth considering later.”

“And after much consideration…”

“I’ve come to the conclusion that perhaps you should forget about aiding me, return to your quarters, whereabouts you can feel free to give yourself a hand.”

Dustin stopped walking and allowed her to continue to place an ever widening amount of distance between them. “You know, karma can be a bitch when it comes back to bite you in the ass,” he called out after her.

“By comparison I assume you were planning on being considerably more gentler?” Trix rounding the next corner and disappeared from his view.

“Don’t bet on it,” Dustin said before turning and heading back the way he came.

Veronica let herself into her apartment and closed the door behind her, leaning back against it in total exhaustion while turning the lock above the door knob with her left hand. What a night. It seemed that her life was getting more and more stranger with every new night that found her. She inevitably found the strength to peel her body away from the door and start off after her bedroom. Once inside the laptop resting atop the desk across the room beckoned her once more with a single string of letters that manifested themselves on the blank screen mere moments after she’d entered the room. She alternated her glances between the comfortably alluring bed and that infernal stress producing machine just beyond it on top of her desk. She sighed and moved across the room to the chair that awaited her.

“Rough night?” the screen said to her.

“An understatement,” Veronica spoke as she typed.

“Don’t worry. It will all make sense very soon.”

“It damn well better,” she said, this time without typing the words into the keyboard.

“Yo, operator!” Apollo called out from somewhere behind Syntax’s back. He pushed himself back from the monitors that surrounded him and spun his chair around to find the young rebel punching commands into the computer screens behind one of the loading chairs. “What’s the word on that disc that I lifted off your little blue pill pen pal back in Wonderland?”

Syntax brought his chair back up to his station monitors. “Patience, Tweedle Dum. I haven’t even had a chance to look over it yet.”

“Well don’t procrastinate too long. I’d like to know what you almost got me killed over as soon as humanly possible.”

“Is that right, Mr. Not Even Close?” Syntax said smugly as he went back to tapping at his keyboards and screens. “Don’t worry. I’ll try and keep your desperate anxiety in mind.”

The loose, dangling vines of the Weeping Willow trees were clustered together in so heavy a number that they almost managed to completely block out the bright blue sky overhead. Sparse and scattered breaks in the thick foliage that made up the ceiling of the swamp floor allowed a few beams of sunlight to penetrate the greenery and make it’s way through to shed some illumination over the area but not much. Dustin and Trix had no complaints about the dimly lit ambiance as they lay atop the silk lined nest encased in green bamboo stalks that floated at the center of a lily pad covered pool. The whistles, hums, chirps, and tweets that the exotic and hidden wildlife all about produced could be heard emanating from parts unknown but none of it distracted the writhing couple from their very own brand of carnality that remained on display for all of nature to witness. Cocooned in the floating bed of black silk, their intertwined bodies slithered over one another’s until Dustin once again found himself on top of her. Placing a hand down on either side of her, he pushed his upper body up away from hers, removing his suckling lips from her neck and his bare chest from her black satin covered twin mounds. Staring down at the stunning form of his shipmate resting beneath him, he watched as she slowly pried her closed eyelids apart and stretched her lips into a seductive smile. “Can I ask you something?” Dustin said to her.

Trix shut her eyes again and pulled him back down to her, arching her back as she did so that his lips would come down against the upper portion of her right breast. “As long as it’s not to stop,” she said, biting back the corner of her bottom lip as the sensation of his mouth once again coming into contact with her flesh sent a shudder of electricity through her. She pushed the tips of her fingernails into his skin as she forced her fingers down across the gently moist flesh of his back.

“Tell me,” Dustin breathed into her as he trailed kiss after kiss down her body. His lips moved from the top of the satin covered mound, down through the valley between the two of them, and even further down across her abdomen. “What would you say to you and I having dinner later on?”

Trix felt the damp touch of the tip of his tongue stroke across her belly button and both of his hands grip the delicate fabric of her underwear into his fists on the side of each one of her hips. “I’m not sure,” she breathed out throatily as she stroked her fingers through his hair. “Why don’t you ask me afterwards.” Feeling his hand begin to tug at her panties, she hoisted her hips up from the silk bedding and…

“Well, well, well now,” a voice called out from the wilderness and distracted the both of them. Dustin lifted his head up and looked out to the right of the floating bed. “Oh, please, by all means, don’t let me disturb you.”

Dustin let out a sigh of disgust and dropped his head again. “What the hell are you doing in here?”

Trix stepped away from the grassy shoreline and out onto one of the paths composed of large floating stones that lead out to the quaint little love nest nestled out in the center of the pond. “I’d originally come here to make up for my rather rude and scornful refusal of your invitation to dinner.” She stopped on the stone just shy of the floating bamboo platform supporting the large silk nest and stared down at the digital, half nude replica of herself. “But now I can see that I’m more than making up for that slight transgression, wouldn’t you say?” She cut her eyes back over to Dustin.

He hoisted his body up and turned to his once eagerly receptive consort. “Would you mind?” he said to her. Without saying a word to him she pulled her legs into herself and swung them over the side of the bed opposite her twin before standing and moving off across the pond. Dustin wrapped the sheets around his lower body as he moved to have a seat on the side of the bed. “Happy now?”

“I thought I’d confiscated all of your sims,” Trix said as she stepped onto the platform and took a seat on the bed to his left.

“Guess you missed a few,” Dustin replied to her. “Now assuming you didn’t come in here to help indulge me in any of my more illicit revelations you mind tell me what this is all about?”

“I wanted to talk to you about that kid we found tonight.”

“You mean that program? What about him?”

“That’s just it,” Trix said. “He is, in any event, just an exiled program. And whether or not the Oracle has the inside track on him or not there’s still only one likely place that he could have come from.” Trix looked over at Dustin who continued to wear an expression that looked as if he were barely following where this conversation was going.

“You’re talking about the source?” he finally offered up.

“Yes I am. Which means he had to have been ferried through the only conduit known to be in existence that’s running a link from the source directly into the matrix.”

Dustin sat up in his bed in his quarters aboard the Nexus. “The Trainman,” he said.

Trix sat up on the bed right next to him. “And that leaves just one another person in the loop regarding out little orphan mystery boy.”

“Have you talked to Despauna about this?” Dustin asked her as he turned to look her in the eye.

“No. Just wanted to hear how it sounded out loud before I did. Thanks for the ear.” Trix turned and reached back behind her. After punching in a few buttons on Dustin’s personal processing unit she removed the disc that it ejected and stuffed it in her pocket before scooting forward off of his bed.

“Hey!” he cried out, but it was too late. Trix was already in the process of shutting the door behind her as she exited his bedroom. “Thanks for nothing,” Dustin spoke to himself as he collapsed back on his mattress.
-Duo

Trug
The Blue Pill
The Blue Pill

Post by Trug »

Dustin looked through his room, fully dissapointed in the situation. He realized that he was fully clothed, and decided to chase her. He ran out the door and saw her walking down the hall, so he followed her.

"Wait!" He shouted, but she didn't stop. He ran right beside her and she kept walking, so he stood in front of her.

"You know, I never pinned you for a perv." She said, intending to tease.

Dustin was genuinely hurt at this, and he sighed heavily and walked away. He went back into his room, and put another disk into his P.P.U, and lay down, to let it take him.

He opened his eyes and saw himself in a white room. No doors, no windows, no sound. He sat down, crossed his legs and closed his eyes once more. He breathed slowly and meditated.

Millions of thoughts clouded his mind. The Agents, his dreams, Trix, his newfound feeling of balance. He was confused and excited, happy and angry. He liked his life before, but he knew... he knew there was always something more. His thoughts drowned out the silence, and he sat there.

Trix pulled the disk out of her pocket, and looked at it.

"So, this is all it takes to copy me..." she said softly to herself. She wiped a tear from her eye, and threw the disk like a frisbee. She ran to her room and lay down on the bed, feeling bad both for what Dustin did and for what she thought was weakness.

Apollo had also gone back to his own room, and thought heavily about what he was risking, what he was putting on the line. He sighed loudly.

"Damn, man... how'd it end up like this?" At that moment, he thought about what it would be like if he was one of those billions of people blissfully ignorant, just living what they think is their lives in the Matrix, but he shook the thought out of his head, and sat there, waiting for some sign that he's doing the right thing.

Dustin, now feeling perfectly balanced, left his white room, and sat up on his bed, then turned off his P.P.U.

"I'm going to talk to her." He decided. He left his room and walked down the hall. He was two doors away from his room when he saw something move from the corner of his eye.

"Oh, well this can't be good..." He said, looking around.
syntax
Deus Ex Machina
Deus Ex Machina

Post by syntax »

LMIRL

Syntax sat in his seat behind his operating station constantly cutting his eyes over to the one of his many screens that held that single string of letters. His fingers continued to work at the other touch screens and keyboards while he kept his vigilance over the flashing cursor, patiently awaiting a response from the invitation.

Are you serious? Ultimately scrolled across the screen underneath the five character message. His face lit up with a halfhearted smirk as his eyes turned back to the screens with the scrolling matrix coding. His rapidly moving hands and fingers had yet to stop working at the multitude of tasks that he’d assigned them yet he still found enough breaks in the work he performed to reach over and spell out the response:

I sincerely hope that you are.

Tonight.

He ended the transmission and pushed his chair back away from the array of monitors and keyboards. Spinning the seat to the left, he quickly hopped up to his feet and headed out of the ship’s core. Making his way through the darkened corridors of the Nexus back to his quarters Syntax felt an overwhelming sensation of fear overtake his entire person for the duration of a split second as he pondered the notion of whether or not she would be ready for all of this. For any of this at that matter. With a swift shaking of his head he tried to relieve himself of all doubt regarding such nonsense. Of course she was ready. She had to be. Maybe a month ago such a ridiculous notion might have actually been worth entertaining but having been since taken under his grooming and tutelage if she wasn’t ready for the truth now then when would she ever be?

A noise sounded in the maze of tunnels up ahead. Syntax slowed the momentum with which he walked. “Cara?” he called out. No answer. “Lex?” Nothing. He resumed his normal pace once more. Rounding the next corner that lead off to his right he eventually caught sight of a figure standing motionless in the shadows. “Oh. It’s you. What are you still doing up?”

“Nothing. Just having a little trouble sleeping, that’s all.” Dustin stepped out from the shadows and into a patch of blue light that a tube of florescent piping running across the ceiling cast down on the floor. “Out for a stroll. Didn’t expect to find you roaming around this neck of the woods.”

“Yeah. I was headed back to my place. Looking for some old operating programs that I misplaced. You wouldn’t happen to have seen any of them lying around have you?”

“Can’t say that I have,” Dustin said.

“Oh well. Speaking of which, you’d better cut your midnight stroll a little short tonight. I’m going to need you guys at a hundred percent tomorrow.”

Dustin turned and faded back into the shadows behind him. “Don’t worry about it,” he said, the soft echo of his voice trailing behind him as his silhouette slowly vanished from sight down the corridor.

Trix climbed into the chair and Syntax inserted the plug into the port in the back of her head. “How’d you sleep?” she said.

“Surprisingly enough not too well,” Dustin answered her. He climbed up into the seat next to hers. “Something I was meaning to speak to you about last night but sufficient opportunity seemed to have somehow slipped by me.”

“Funny. I do seem to have the most fleeting sense of availability when it comes to our most clandestine of intimate encounters.”

“What are you two babbling about?” Apollo said as he finished loading the plug into the back of Despauna’s head and moving over toward the empty seat on Trix’s right hand side.

“Onanism,” Trix replied. “And its adverse effects on sleep deprivation. Would you care to elaborate on the subject matter?”

“I would had I any up-to-date relevance to disclose. But by all means feel free to avail yourself anytime you wish to see to it that I remain out of the loop.”

“Alright. Alright,” Syntax said, interrupting the light sarcastic banter of off color puns flying back and forth around the circle of loading chairs. He finished working at the monitor behind Dustin’s head, inserted his plug, and headed over to Apollo’s seat. “Can we at least pretend to be focused on the task at hand here. After all, there’s only a woman’s life at stake.”

Apollo felt the slight jab of the metal rod sliding up into his skull and he jostled a bit in his seat. “Speaking of love, you sure this pill is ready to make the spectrum hop from blue to red? Not that I’m doubting your judgment in regards to these matters but this shela still seems pretty green to me.”

“If Syntax thinks she’s ready them I’m inclined to go ahead on a little faith.”

“Thank you for the vote of confidence, Despauna,” he said, climbing into his chair and spinning it to face his monitors. “Glad there’s someone onboard this ship willing to place some measure of viability in the position that I hold. You know there’s more to operating than just hugging groupies and signing autographs.”

“Right,” Despauna continued. “That way any and all casualties incurred as a result can be directly tied in to his direction.”

Syntax mumbled top himself while jabbing his fingers at the arc of computer screens all around him. “Everybody’s a @#$*ing comedian.”

“What was that?” Trix asked.

Syntax didn’t utter another word aloud opting instead to simply enter the command that sent them all careening into the world of the matrix.

Veronica’s arms were wrapped tightly around Apollo’s waist as she sat behind him on his motorcycle while he zipped them through the inner city traffic. The lights of the city flew by her in blurred streaks of various colors as the wind whipped her hair all about with each turn that they took. Soon the lights of the city gave way to the natural illumination of the stars and moon as Apollo steered them towards the outskirts of the city. The highway that they traveled along wound its way up a hill that was bordered by a lush green tree line on either side of it. When he squeezed the handbrakes and brought the bike to a stop Veronica turned her head and looked over her right shoulder at the observatory resting near the edge of the cliff overlooking the city.

“Come on,” Apollo said, climbing off the bike and extending his hand out to help her down.

“What are we doing here?” Veronica asked, accepting his hand while still looking up at the building with its large domed roof and the huge telescopic barrel extending from one side of it angled up toward the sky above the towering rooftops in the valley below.

“No time for that now. That pill you took is part of a trace program designed to disrupt your input/output carrier signal.”

“What does that mean? What does any of that have to do with anything?”

Veronica blinked open her eyes and was instantly greeted by the stinging sensation that the lights above her graced her pupils with. She shut them once in the hope of gaining some sort of relief and opened them again to the sight of several blurred images of human bodies hovering over her supine positioned form. “I had the strangest dream,” she said with a notable tone of grogginess in her voice. Reaching her hand up, she slowly stroked her fingers across the smooth skin of her scalp until she touched the soft cushion supporting her head on the bedding that she rested upon. “What the hell happened to my hair?” she whined.
-Duo

Trug
The Blue Pill
The Blue Pill

Post by Trug »

Dustin had remained in the Matrix, and saw that Trix had as well.

"As good of a time as any to talk, right?" He asked, Trix nodded, and sat down, crossing her legs. She picked up a glass of water and finished half of it.

"Is this glass half empty or half full?" She asked. Dustin looked at the glass, and frowned.

"It is neither. There is no indication on the cup that says where to fill it up to, it may very well be full, and there was just more than there was supposed to be to start, or maybe there was supposed to be more in the cup, and it's less than half of what there should be. Or it's always full so long as there is a drop of water left." Trix smiled at his answer, and finished the water, placing it down on the table.

"Very interesting but no matter how much water it takes to fill a cup the one thing assured is that one day it will be emptied." Trix said with a little sadness in her voice. Dustin took it upon himself to sit on the chair across from her, and he poured more water into the cup from a pitcher.

"And filled again," He said. "Life is a cycle, everything is redundant, nothing ever stops, just as thte world spins, we keep on going and going and going."

"Stop." Trix said.

"Impossible. Nothing ever stops. It may continue silently for a while but eventually it lets itself be known."

Trix stood up and walked over to the phone on the table. Dustin followed.

"I don't want to talk about this anymore." She said, and waited to hear it ring.

"Nothing ever stops, Trix." He said softly, and stood there silently after that.

The phone rang, and Trix picked it up. The lights flickered and she was gone. Dustin waited for the ophone to ring. When it did, he picked up the reciever, and just as he lifted it to his ear, the phone exploded. Dustin fell backwards in shock, as he saw someone in the doorway with a gun pointed toward him.

"NO!!!" Dustin shouted. He ran up to the Agent, and stopped, as he saw his own face, as if looking into a mirror.

"What... what the hell?" He said, shocked and confused. The Agent lifted the gun and pointed it at Dustin's head, and pulled the trigger. Dustin saw a bright white flash, and opened his eyes. He fell. He stood up, and felt his forehead. No hole. No blood. It was a dream. He heard the phone ringing, and he picked it up, no explosions. He felt the absence of a probe in his head, and he stood up.

"Was... was that real?" was all he could say.
Trix
Niobe
Niobe

Post by Trix »

Eh.. not that I'm one to talk right now since recently I've been absent from the contributions, but as an interjection, I think we need to slow this whole Dustin/Trix romance sub-plot thing down. First of all, the girl doesn't fall too easily, second, we've already seen the makings of a future Syntax/Veronica romance sub-plot, and more than one will just turn this drama-series type of fan-fiction into the makings of a full-fledged soap opera.

Please. :cry:
Think of the Trixes.
In the eyes of a dream, I'll always be watching you

~Trix~
syntax
Deus Ex Machina
Deus Ex Machina

Post by syntax »

Despauna walked into the mess hall onboard the Nexus and removed a bowl from one of the cabinets. After pulling open a nearby drawer and removing a metal spork he walked over to one of the hard plastic and metal stalactites that were attached to the upper portion of one of the counters present in the room and turned down a lever on the side. He held his bowl underneath the spigot and collected the ooze that spurted forth. Once he’d piled on his limit the Captain turned up the lever and shut off the downpour. Scooping up a small tin cup on his way, Despauna walked over to the large table where Cara, Dustin, and Trix were sitting as they consumed the remains of their meal.

Despauna sat down on the side of the table next to Trix across from Cara who passed him a pitcher of water once he got himself situated. Dustin locked eyes with Trix and after reading the intentions behind her rapidly batting eyelashes he slowly shook his head from side to side. Trix ignored the warning and turned her focus over to Despauna. “Sir, have you given any further thought to our situation with the parcel that we left in the Oracle’s care?”

Nodding his head as he took in a sporkful of liquefied dinner, Despauna said, “Some. But I figured that with the Oracle’s provisions that threat is reasonably contained for the time being. Why, is there something on your mind?”

“I was just thinking that if that little guy is indeed a program then there’s really only one main avenue that he could have traveled along in order to pass from the machine world into the matrix.”

“You’re talking about the train station?” Cara replied.

“Exactly.

“And by train station am I to understand that you’re referring to an inquiry into the Frenchman’s involvement in all of this?” Despauna ate another bite.

“It makes perfect sense,” Trix said, letting her own spork slip from her fingers and drop back down into the bowl in front of her. “If that kid came through on that train then he either had a hand in his getting here or at least knows something about it.”

“That’s an interesting theory,” Despauna said to her. “But the exact threat level of this child has yet to be determined and we already have too much on our plates to go around chasing after phantom leads.”

“Sir, are you sure?”

“Don’t worry about it. I’ll have someone look into it but it is by no means to take precedence over any of our current missions until further notice. Understood?”

Trix cut her eyes over to Dustin and watched his drop down to the table as he took up another runny scoop of his dinner. She stood up from the table. “Affirmative,” she said before turning and walking away.

Trix walked the corridors of the ship until the sound of voices emanating from somewhere in the darkness steered her off of her intended path and sent her in search of their source. She eventually found Syntax and Apollo in a small secluded area seated around a round table. Apollo tossed two of the playing cards that he held onto the table and Syntax picked up a deck and issued him two fresh new ones.

“Well look at what we have here,” Syntax said after noticing her make her way over to them. “Why the long face?”

She had a seat at the table and picked up the small jug resting on the floor beside Syntax’s chair. Reaching across the table, she grabbed up the tin mug in front of Apollo and pulled it in front of her. “Hey!” he protested as she began to fill it with the concoction that she poured from the jug.

“Oh shut it. Your shift is coming up anyway.”

Syntax dished out two cards across the table and picked up two from the top of the deck. “You still haven’t told us why your face looks like you’ve been sucking on a bag of lemons.”

Trix sat the jug back down on the floor and took a drink from her cup. “It’s nothing. I’ve just been thinking a lot about that pint sized mystery guest that we dropped off at the Oracle’s recently. I ran this idea about hitting up the Frenchman for some Intel by the Captain and he shot me down cold.” She took another drink. “It’s just something about this kid that keeps bugging me. I don’t know. I’ve got a good mind to slip off whenever I get some free time and look into it off the records.”

“I don’t know about that,” Apollo said to her as he studied the cards in his hands and shifted a few of them around. “I hear that curiosity killed the cat.”

“Yeah. And it didn’t do too much for the oysters either,” Syntax added. “Let’s see what you got.” Apollo spread the cards he held out across the table in front of him. A three of diamonds was showing along with a seven of clubs and the queen of hearts, spades, and diamonds. Syntax threw his cards down hard on the tabletop, acceding defeat. “Damnit!”

Trix took another drink and brought the jug back up to pour some more. “Oysters? What the hell are you talking about?”

“She doesn’t know about the oysters,” Apollo said to Syntax, his face all lit up in smiles.

“She doesn’t know about the oysters,” Syntax said, mocking his merriment as he scooped up the cards and prepared to deal again. “Of course she doesn’t. Clearly nobody’s told her about them yet.” He shuffled the deck and began to throw cards back and forth between him and Apollo.

“Well…” Trix said, alternating her eyes between them. “Anyone of you bozos care to fill me in about the damn oysters.”

“Fine,” Syntax said, placing the deck down on the table and picking up the hand that he had dealt himself. “Where should we begin,” he said, spreading out the cards in his palms and eyeing the suits. “The Walrus and the Carpenter.”

“The who?” Trix replied.

Apollo chuckled under his breath as he looked over the cards in his hands. He lifted his eyes to catch a most disparaging grimace from Syntax. “Commonly referred to as the story of the curious oysters.”

Trix huffed out a sigh in frustration. “Will you two idiots just get on with it.”

Apollo dished out a card and Syntax slid it to the side and handed him a new one from the deck. “Well,” Syntax spoke, still eyeing Apollo’s grin. “The Walrus and the Carpenter were walking close at hand. The beach was wide from side to side but much too full of sand.”

Apollo perked up and said, “Mr. Walrus, said the Carpenter, my brain begins to perk. We’ll sweep this clear in half a year if you don’t mind the work.”

Syntax dished out two cards and collected two more from the deck. “Work? The time has come, the Walrus said, to talk of other things. Of shoes and ships and sealing wax and cabbages and kings. And why the sea is boiling hot and whether pigs have wings. Calloo, callay. No work today. We’re cabbages and kings.”

Trix tiled her cup back again. “Is this little dog and pony show supposed to be going somewhere anytime in the near future?”

Syntax craned his neck in her direction and picked up the deck as Apollo dished another three cards. “Oh…oyster, come and walk with us,” he said to her and peeled three cards from the deck. “The day is warm and bright. A pleasant walk, a pleasant talk would be a sheer delight.”

Apollo turned a set of lascivious eyes in her direction as he collected the cards Syntax passed him. “And should we get hungry on the way we’ll stop and have a bite.”

Syntax looked back at Apollo and cleared his throat while throwing two cards down hard on the table top. Apollo‘s attention was back on him. “But mother oyster winked her eye and shook her heavy head. She knew too well this was no time to leave her oyster bed.”

“Right,” Apollo responded. “The sea is nice. Take my advice and stay right here, mum said.”

“Yes, yes. Of course, of course. But the time has come my little friend to talk of other things.” Syntax shuffled around the cards he held. “Of shoes and ships and sealing wax and cabbages and kings. And why the sea is boiling hot and whether pigs have wings. Calloo, callay. Come run away. We’re the cabbages and kings.”

“Who made this stuff?” Trix said, looking down into her cup.

Syntax leaned forward on the table and cocked a devious eyebrow at Apollo. “Now, if you’re ready, oysters, we can begin to feed because the time has come my little friends to talk of food and things.”

“Right,” Apollo said, shifting his cards around. “Of peppercorns and mustard seeds and other seasonings. We’ll mix them all together in a sauce that’s fit for kings. Calloo, callay. We’ll eat today like cabbages and kings.” Apollo spread his hand out on the table and showed two sixes, a pair of jacks, and a four of diamonds. “Little oysters,” he said with a greedy sneer on his face. “Little oysters.”

“Sorry, my friend,” Syntax replied. “But answer there came none.” He spread his hand out and put on display and eight of heart, nine of club, ten of heart, jack of diamond, and queen of spade. “And this was scarcely odd because they’d been eaten, everyone.”

“Aww! You have got to be shittin’ me,” Apollo cried out. “Give me that deck. It’s my deal anyway. Can’t believe you’d pull a straight to the queen when…Who cares? You still owe me…what?”

“About three hundred and seventy five thousand now. Anyhow…” Syntax turned his glance over to Trix. “Hope this helps you with your little moral dilemma.”

She sat the cup down on the tabletop and stood up. “You guys need to seriously lay off the sauce.” Trix turned and started on her way out of the room.

“Hey,” Syntax called after her. “Tell Concent not to forget that we switched shifts tonight.” After Trix failed to acknowledge his words he looked back over at Apollo across the table. The cards began to fly across the tabletop again. “Anything wild this hand?”
-Duo

Trug
The Blue Pill
The Blue Pill

Post by Trug »

Trix wrote:Eh.. not that I'm one to talk right now since recently I've been absent from the contributions, but as an interjection, I think we need to slow this whole Dustin/Trix romance sub-plot thing down. First of all, the girl doesn't fall too easily, second, we've already seen the makings of a future Syntax/Veronica romance sub-plot, and more than one will just turn this drama-series type of fan-fiction into the makings of a full-fledged soap opera.

Think of the Trixes.
And of what the children would look like... O.O
Apollo
Seraph
Seraph

Post by Apollo »

Trug wrote:
Trix wrote:Eh.. not that I'm one to talk right now since recently I've been absent from the contributions, but as an interjection, I think we need to slow this whole Dustin/Trix romance sub-plot thing down. First of all, the girl doesn't fall too easily, second, we've already seen the makings of a future Syntax/Veronica romance sub-plot, and more than one will just turn this drama-series type of fan-fiction into the makings of a full-fledged soap opera.

Think of the Trixes.
And of what the children would look like... O.O
If its a soap it probably wouldn't be yours but your evil long lost twin brother...