Article about new pope and what he has to say about God

Is the universe a hologram? Are we living in a giant metaphysical Matrix? Discuss about it in here...
(Registered users only)

Moderator: Trix

Boxer R65
Senior Council Member
Senior Council Member

Article about new pope and what he has to say about God

Post by Boxer R65 »

Have kept this article for awhile now. Some interesting things about our new pope. Toronto Star Aug/27/05
Its from an internet site named Zenit.org
I have no affiliation with this web site. I just found the article interesting.

So here's are some highligths of what Ratzinger said ( in a speech a day before predecessor John Paul II died)

Terrorism is based on modern secular modes of "man's self-authorization, and not on the teachings of teh Qur'an."

He warns that many dangers lurk when culture forsakes faith and morality.

The Pope believes ( guess he's means Paull II?) that exclusion of God "leads to the self destruction of freedom and severs the roots that nourish morality and human decency, leading ultimately to contempt for man".

He thinks that the gravest danger of our time is that development of science and technology has not been matched by the moral strength which is the precondition for the security, freedom and dignity everyone else yearns for.

Apparently, according to the article - USA today said the need to revive European Catholicism was "among the main reasons" the cardinals chose Germany's Benedict as Pope.

This is the first time I have come across anything in the papers about what the new Pope is all about.
Trix
Niobe
Niobe

Post by Trix »

So.. basically he's against all forms of technology and is denying all science itself? Can you give a link to the article?
In the eyes of a dream, I'll always be watching you

~Trix~
Boxer R65
Senior Council Member
Senior Council Member

Post by Boxer R65 »

This the first thing I've ever come across regarding what Ratzinger thinks. I'm not sure if he denys science, or if instead, the article hasn't addressed his opinions on the subject and focussed on humanity's moral compass - which appears to be headed off in a wrong direction at this moment in time ( maybe there is a subtle bias here against science - just not obviously stated).

What I find interesting is how it appears that after 2000 years the catholic church, a stalwart of spreading the word of morality and human decency has been able to do so little to advance humanity in terms of morality. I wonder if the church ( or any religeon) has helped make humanity - us- a better collective mass in terms of morality and human decency.

I know its so easy to criticize and I don't have any answers, but hey - its a free country still.

As to a link to the article You can Google the Toronto Star - I tried having a quick look in their archive section as in the past I've used it to search for articles on particular subjects (cost $), but nothing jumped out at me here. I have the date and unfortunately, I threw the article out with the trash this morning so no luck there. You can also try the website the article listed. Sorry, not very helpful.