The Matrix Resurrections Trailer Analysis

The fourth Matrix film is due to be released in December 2021, the entire reason this website was rekindled from the ashes.
Neo
The One
The One

The Matrix Resurrections Trailer Analysis

Post by Neo »

The long-awaited trailer has finally been released. Neo has returned. And so have I. Here is my analysis on the trailer as it stands...
Street Code.png
Street Code.png (3.74 MiB) Viewed 327 times

As you may recall from my original Final Matrix Exegesis in 2003, after Smith was destroyed in Revolutions, Neo was carried off by the Deus Ex Machina to the Source so that his program could be reinserted and his code disseminated. The Matrix is RELOADED as can be seen on the pavement with the black cat walking along and the whole REVOLUTION starts over again.

In the new trailer, we see that Neo is escaping from a corporate office building of a company named Deus Ex Machina.
Deus Ex Machina.png
Deus Ex Machina.png (1.78 MiB) Viewed 327 times

It therefore seems that the truce has been broken. It was never truly made clear the nature of the truce, but it was likely a matter of choice. From The Final Matrix Exegesis:
The Architect asks the Oracle at the end, "Just how long do you think this peace is going to last?" - this sounds quite assumptive that this is not indefinite; almost like, how many hundreds of years till we have go through all this again? And the Oracle reciprocates this assumption, "As long as it can," because being a program, she knows that this new version must last as long as possible so the machines can draw up a new plan for circumventing the anomaly inherent in AI as next time, it will be much more difficult to defeat Smith.
In the trailer, owing in part to the cast aging IRL, Neo and Trinity are clearly older in this version of the Matrix, and it is possible that time passes in the Matrix much slower than in the real world, so hundreds of years could have passed in reality, and the machines have figured out a way to break the truce.

We must assume that Trinity was plugged back into the Matrix as part of the truce. But this brings into question why Morpheus is present and is significantly younger if the above is the case.
Morpheus.png
Morpheus.png (1.47 MiB) Viewed 327 times

The obvious explanation is that he is a program created by the machines to blindside Neo. This is alluded to in the trailer where Neo says to Morpheus "You don't know me" before apparently killing him.
Neo Kills Morpheus.png
Neo Kills Morpheus.png (4.69 MiB) Viewed 327 times

As Neo is the anomaly - the human element of the Matrix that the machines can never understand and must somehow keep in check - how are the machines now dealing with him? Well, it can be seen in the trailers that he is taking the blue pill every day, which can be seen from one of the teaser trailers to be labelled ONTOLOFLOXIN, derived from 'ontology', the branch of philosophy that studies concepts such as existence, being, becoming, and reality. Clearly, this was the machines' way of keeping him down for so long. Constantly feeding him a daily dose of the blue pill.
Ontolofloxin.png
Ontolofloxin.png (3.24 MiB) Viewed 327 times

Clearly, this pill only had a limited effect as Neo feels there is something wrong with the world, just as in the original movie. But this time it is different as it appears he is already able to tap into his superpower abilities without becoming unplugged.
Stopping Bullets.png
Stopping Bullets.png (3.11 MiB) Viewed 327 times
Leap.png
Leap.png (1.98 MiB) Viewed 327 times

The teaser trailers show him doubting the world while travelling up to a rooftop bar in the lift before later taking a step from the top of the building to the shock and horror of all those in the bar. Obviously, he survived, so this must be the moment he kickstarts his abilities... the moment he realises the world is not as it seems.
Rooftop Bar.png
Rooftop Bar.png (4.33 MiB) Viewed 327 times

He also seems to reconstruct his past (from previous versions of the Matrix) as he clearly knows who Trinity is when he goes to meet her while she remains completely oblivious.
Neo Meets Trinity.png
Neo Meets Trinity.png (3.27 MiB) Viewed 327 times

When Neo enters the restaurant to speak to a character played by Priyanka Chopra, she quickly closes the book she's reading which is of course Alice in Wonderland.
Alice in Wonderland Book.png
Alice in Wonderland Book.png (1.72 MiB) Viewed 327 times

There is short glimpse of a page that she is reading, and the excerpt is this:
The most curious part of the thing was, that the trees and the other things round them never changed their places at all: however fast they went, they never seemed to pass anything. "I wonder if all the things move along with us?" thought poor puzzled Alice. And the Queen seemed to guess her thoughts, for she cried, "Faster! Don't try to talk!"
Alice in Wonderland Book - Inside.png
Alice in Wonderland Book - Inside.png (1.67 MiB) Viewed 327 times

Is Priyanka Chopra the Queen of the Matrix? Is she the antagonist? Her very momentary and seemingly trivial appearance in the trailer should not be underestimated given who the actress is. I think we can expect her to be a key part of the Matrix - quite possibly the Deus Ex Machina itself (or a manifestation thereof), or perhaps The Oracle. Perhaps they're one and the same...
Priyanka Chopra.png
Priyanka Chopra.png (3.3 MiB) Viewed 327 times

But one thing I'm certain of. It is Sati vis-à-vis the last scenes in The Matrix Revolutions.
Sati - Revolutions.png
Sati - Revolutions.png (3.08 MiB) Viewed 326 times

Of particular interest in this scene is that Seraph seems to be eating dinner in the background. This could be a cameo, but not something to overlook.
Seraph.png
Seraph.png (2.42 MiB) Viewed 327 times

Aside from the above, there is not much else I can draw from the trailer at this stage from an overarching perspective, but there are a few titbits that are notable:
  • The Nebuchadnezzar is back. Since it was previously destroyed, does this mean the machines have created a Matrix within a Matrix? See the previous Zion is a matrix theory.
    Hovercraft.png
    Hovercraft.png (1.43 MiB) Viewed 327 times
  • There is Matrix code on computer monitors in the Matrix. Someone is therefore monitoring the Matrix from within the Matrix. This is quite possibly within the Deus Ex Machina building itself?
    Code on Monitors in Matrix.png
    Code on Monitors in Matrix.png (1.92 MiB) Viewed 327 times
  • Is MetaCortex back? The last scene in the trailer shows Jonathan Groff next to a desk with a paperweight sporting an 'M' logo.
    MetaCortex.png
    MetaCortex.png (1.77 MiB) Viewed 327 times
    It's not quite the same design as the 'M' in MetaCortex in the first movie, but it could be significant. What we do know is that he is not friendly as we see his mouth sealed in one of the teaser trailers and none too fazed by it.
    Mouth Sealed.png
    Mouth Sealed.png (2.14 MiB) Viewed 327 times
  • Finally, it may be nothing, but the number on the police car in the trailer is 60378. We know from the original movie that the number plates of all the cars in the highway chase were all Bible references. I don't know what the significance of this one is, if any, but open to suggestion.
    Police Car.png
    Police Car.png (2.28 MiB) Viewed 327 times

I don't think it needs to be said that Simulatte is a great name for a coffee bar and is loaded with meaning in the Matrix. But one thing's for sure, I'll be ordering a Simulatte next time I go to Starbucks.
Simulatte.png
Simulatte.png (1.6 MiB) Viewed 327 times

Please let me know what you think of this analysis. You can believe it, or not. The choice is up to you...
Red Pill.png
Red Pill.png (1.19 MiB) Viewed 327 times
Dodge this!

:2gunfire: :robot: