Suggestion - Highlights of topics visited

If you have any new ideas for the site or its forums, enter them in here. New thoughts are always welcome to further our being at one with the Matrix...
Boxer R65
Senior Council Member
Senior Council Member

Suggestion - Highlights of topics visited

Post by Boxer R65 »

I watch this site regularly since last July. It dawned on me that it would be great if, when I choose a topic to go into, read the info there and come out again, the topic was highlighted so I know which one I had just visited. Some of the responses are quite long and I don't scroll back up to check the title before backing up into the list of forum topics.

Once I logged off, or left the site, the highlights would disappear.
Ghost
Smith Clone
Smith Clone

Post by Ghost »

That's a good idea. I find it really annoying that when I go on to the forum and see all the new posts highlited and then when I close my browser and go back onto it the highlights are gone. So I dont know where the new posts are so I can read them.
"Les Chercheurs" has been created and it is my crew. For anyone who is interested on joining "Les Chercheurs" please PM me or email me. Also you can find more information on the crews homepage http://leschercheurs.bravehost.com
Neo
The One
The One

Post by Neo »

If you perform a regular search:
http://www.forums.x-matrix.net/search.php

...then put * in the 'Search for Keywords' box and press Search, this will list all topics in the order of most recent post first.

You can then look at the time and date of the last post in each topic to work out which topics contain posts since your last visit.

Neo
Dodge this!

:2gunfire: :robot:
woodley
Agent Smith
Agent Smith

Post by woodley »

And on some templates (not sure about this one) it will have a little colour next to the post displaying that it is new. It would be what it looks like in the index when you view new forums, the same colour. Additionally (this I know for a fact) the next major release of phpBB (phpBB 2.2.0, currently in development) will sport a, "posts since last visit feature."

I also know of a MOD (modification, written in CAPS to differ it from mod, which means Moderator) that allows you to have a quick link to it in the index in phpBB 2.0.x. Don't want to get into that though.
Dean Woodley - www.woodleynet.com - http://deanwoodley.blogspot.com - Mac OS X user, ignore my avatar
Neo
The One
The One

Post by Neo »

woodley, the problem isn't that the users cannot easily spot new posts when coming the board, it's that they lose the indications when they close the browser and reopen again before they've had a chance to view all the latest posts.

This version of the board sports a "View posts since last visit" feature. It's on the main Forum Index page.

You sound enthusiastic about getting into phpBB, but be warned, there are a lot of pitfalls you'll have to encounter to create a truly customised board, especially if you modify your own PHP. Good luck, it'll be worth it.
Dodge this!

:2gunfire: :robot: