Logging in

If you have any new ideas for the site or its forums, enter them in here. New thoughts are always welcome to further our being at one with the Matrix...
Agent Drake
Zion Inhabitant
Zion Inhabitant

Logging in

Post by Agent Drake »

I really think that each user should have to log in before posting. It's difficult to find our who is posting when they are in as "Guests" and sometimes people forget to log in and the post doesnt add to their post count. Also, if logged in as a guest, if they broke the rules, you'd have to search for their IP Adress and everything. Just my thoughts.

Drake
Apollo
Seraph
Seraph

Post by Apollo »

you can just click the "log in automatically"button thats on the log in screen, and its not really that big a problem when you think about it, i haven't been here long and i havent seen a lot of posts by guests
Agent Drake
Zion Inhabitant
Zion Inhabitant

Post by Agent Drake »

Yeah, but I see this place is growing. The more people that come, the more noobs that come too. It isn't a problem now, but when the noob-wave comes, more people wont be following the rules, and this will serve as a big problem. I own a forum of my own, and it's not difficult to set up the "Log in Before Posting" rule.

Drake
Apollo
Seraph
Seraph

Post by Apollo »

do you mean registering? i wouldn't worry about it Neo knows what hes doing and i wouldn't expect noob season for another 5 months :D
syntax
Deus Ex Machina
Deus Ex Machina

Post by syntax »

Sometimes even after you log in correctly it will change your name to guest if you are on for too long. It happens to me all the time. :mad:
I'm going back to the matrix and I want you to come with me.
-Duo

www.myspace.com/plotholes
Neo
The One
The One

Post by Neo »

As this board is actively moderated to prevent spam, the guest login feature is enabled to allow people who would otherwise not post to post messages. These tend to be good enough quality to continue allowing these on the board where they would otherwise not be posted.

Should this ever become a problem, then yes, I will restrict posting of messages to registered users only. There is of course the option to put this restriction on individual forums, so if necessary in the future, this could be done.

But for now, the board will continue to allow guest posts until such time it becomes a pain to moderate them. Guests who continually post malicious spam can have their IP address(es) blocked, and this has happened numerous times already to protect the board.

As for the logging in timing out, this is most likely due to your cookie settings. The board supports remembering your login between sessions and will not time out if your settings are correct. Please ensure your cookies are properly enabled and you have the latest version of your browser.

Neo
Dodge this!

:2gunfire: :robot:
Agent Drake
Zion Inhabitant
Zion Inhabitant

Post by Agent Drake »

Okay, thanks for listening.

Now, Syntax, I will give you step-by-step instructions on how to fix this problem, which I have helped before, and have had before.

1. Open your internet browser.

2. At the top of the browser, there is a button called Tools. Click it.

3. In the pop-down window that Tools made, click Internet Options.

4. At the top of the pop-up window that Internet Options made, there are a bunch of categories. Pick the third one, entitled Privacy.

5. Near the bottom of the page, there is a button called Settings (Or Edit). Click it.

6. A pop-up window will pop up. In the box, type in "phpBB.com"

I hope this helps :)

Drake
syntax
Deus Ex Machina
Deus Ex Machina

Post by syntax »

Agent Drake wrote:Okay, thanks for listening.

Now, Syntax, I will give you step-by-step instructions on how to fix this problem, which I have helped before, and have had before.

1. Open your internet browser.

2. At the top of the browser, there is a button called Tools. Click it.

3. In the pop-down window that Tools made, click Internet Options.

4. At the top of the pop-up window that Internet Options made, there are a bunch of categories. Pick the third one, entitled Privacy.

5. Near the bottom of the page, there is a button called Settings (Or Edit). Click it.

6. A pop-up window will pop up. In the box, type in "phpBB.com"

I hope this helps :)

Drake
Thanx. I'll try it.
I'm going back to the matrix and I want you to come with me.
-Duo

www.myspace.com/plotholes
woodley
Agent Smith
Agent Smith

Post by woodley »

Remember, one of the greatest topics on this board (The Universe is a Hologram) was started by a guest.
Dean Woodley - www.woodleynet.com - http://deanwoodley.blogspot.com - Mac OS X user, ignore my avatar
Trug
The Blue Pill
The Blue Pill

Post by Trug »

That is true, that was a really cool one.
In the shadow of a memory, life becomes legend.
Existence goes on, but the myth will never end.
Passing down the story to the next of kin.
I'm kept here in the darkness, where I have always been.